Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Tech Blackout: Day 1

I am not having fun.  In fact, I think I have made a terrible mistake.  I know I need to stay strong, and that the first day or 2 will be the hardest.  But honestly, the withdrawal is worse than I thought it would be.  The kids are ANGRY.  And, they really don't understand why this horrible thing is happening to them. 

I tried to distract them yesterday.  I took my daughter and our neighbor girls out for makeovers at the local beauty school while my son went ice skating with friends.  That killed about 3 or 4 hours.  Only leaving 12 waking hours for them to complain and act crazy.

It was a very long day.  A long day that ended in a battle, because even though it was nighttime, I still wouldn't let them play their games.  "Mom!  It's night!  What else are we supposed to do?!?"  Sleep.  Stare at a wall.  I don't care, but you're not playing Minecraft.

Today we have another friend over.  I'm taking them to lunch and a movie.  Again, about 3 or 4 hours occupied.  I think I'll have them wash my car afterward to kill more time.  (Actually my car badly needs washed.  I just don't feel like doing it myself.) 

I am hopeful that today is the day they'll forget about games.  I am hopeful, but doubtful as I've already been asked for Minecraft about 9283759486543 times.  In truth, I think today will be a carbon copy of yesterday.  More "I'm bored."  More "Please!  Just for a minute?"  More me with a headache.  This week will be very profitable for the makers of Advil.

I really do have good motives for this experiment.  I am hoping to teach the kids that they can have fun in real life.  That they don't need to be constantly "connected" to be connected.  My intentions are pure.  It's unfortunate that I can't seem to communicate them to my kids.  Maybe if I sent them in a text...

No comments:

Post a Comment