Sunday, June 2, 2013

Summertime, and the Living's Easy?

My husband has the next 2 weeks off work, my kids aren't out of bed before 11, and I haven't brushed my hair in 10 days (seriously). It's summertime. 

I am scrolling through Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram seeing pics of people at parties, bbq's and the beach, going on hikes and glamorous vacations. Well, 2 can play that game, social media:  I've done laundry. I've done dishes too. Lots of dishes. So many dishes. Eat your heart out. 

I've done more housework the past week, than ever before. Part of that is because I am a terrible housekeeper. Part of it is because I've got nothing else going on. 

Now, I know I cannot be the only one having this kind of summer. And, I'm not complaining about it. It's more like I'm having a revelation. I'm doing this to myself. I have to put effort into having a great summer. 

In years past we've taken big vacations. They fill so much of the summer, that by the time we get home, we just want to relax. We need a vacation from our vacation. This year, however, we aren't going anywhere. And we've got nothing but time. 

So, I'm going to set some goals. No lofty ones. Just simple things like, "drag children out of bed before midday". This may require the use of smoke alarms and buckets of ice water, but I think it can happen. I'm also adding "do something fun everyday" to the list. Seems reasonable. Something fun, kids, whether you like it or not. 

In keeping with this new plan for summer, tomorrow we will head to Disneyland. We will take no prisoners. We will go on every ride, see every show, and eat every churro that park has to offer. We will close the place down and stumble home half asleep. Or we will stay for a couple of hours, then find a pool to cool off in. Either way, churros. 


No comments:

Post a Comment